A while ago, when we started working on listening decoding skills with one of my groups, I asked them to transcribe this video starting at 00:50:
They are an upper-intermediate group of eight secondary students who have had a lot of listening practice (including practice with authentic materials). As it turned out, it had taken them between 30 minutes and 2 hours to transcribe this 3-minute video clip. I then compiled their versions and we tried to analyze the source of each problem and put the problems on this map.
What I was trying to achieve was enable them to analyze why they fail to catch something when they work on decoding individually so that hopefully they would see some patterns. Here’s the compilation. I find it very interesting: I almost feel like I get into their heads and hear with their ears as I’m trying to hear how each of their versions could be heard. One of the courses I’m doing this term is a listening comprehension course, so I’ll try to use this as a resource to train my future students to analyze listening difficulties.